Saturday, March 1, 2008

Gardening, Old Wives' Tales, and Family

It's March 1st and time to start planning your garden. Spring is just around the corner. Get out those seed catalogs and start dreaming. Plot out where all those plants are going to go. Our latest poll showed that 60% of you prefer a vegetable garden and 40% like their flower gardens.

When I was a little girl, I used to help my Grandfather Hazlett plant his vegetable garden. We would walk along the rows that he had made. I was closer to the ground (that's what he told me) so I got to put the seeds in the rows. He would use a broomstick and make a hole and I would squat and carefully place the seed. Many weeks later, (of course after daily checking!!) I would see the fruits of my labor start to sprout. Years later, my father would have a garden. I was still closer to the ground (so he convinced me) so I got to place the plants and cover up the seeds. I had progressed in my skills over the years, so I also got to use the hoe and remove the weeds!! Once the produce started to come, I would snap the beans, peel the tomatoes, and help my mother do the canning. I can remember hearing those jars pop as they sealed. I would hear all the old wives' tales that had been passed down through the generations in our family as my mother and I would stand at the sink or the stove. Gardens......In a world of modern technology and fast paced living, it's nice to go back to a simpler time......old wives' tales, gardening, and making memories with those we love. Plant something this year with someone.....make a memory!!

No comments: