Friday, August 8, 2008

Healthy Eating Series - Breakfast

For many years, I was a no-breakfast person. There were several reasons.......I didn't have time, I wasn't hungry, I could save calories, etc. Unfortunately, skipping breakfast hasn't gotten me a whole lot. I would be so hungry by lunchtime that I overate for lunch, which nullified my "no-calorie" idea from breakfast. I have been reading that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. In order to maintain your metabolism, your blood sugar must be at a constant level. Otherwise, you experience hunger, cravings, etc. Eating breakfast first thing in the morning regulates your blood sugar and gives you a good send-off for the day. I have chosen three breakfasts that I will be using for the next two weeks. They will be listed below. God provided breakfast for the Israelites while they were in the wilderness. Numbers 11:9, "And when the dew fell on the camp in the night, the manna fell on it." God wanted the Israelites to rise first thing in the morning and gather their breakfast.

Here are the three breakfasts I will be choosing from for the next 2 weeks:
Oatmeal with blueberries and almonds (no milk)

1 ounce dry (1 packet or 1/3 cup) oats (make with water)
3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 tablespoon slivered almonds
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons honey

Pumpkin Walnut Muffin and Yogurt or Cottage Cheese

mailto:dadsgirl60@yahoo.com Click on link for recipe for Pumpkin Walnut Muffins. I will email you the recipe.

Cheddar Cheese, Avocado, and Tomato Toast


1 slice whole grain bread (3g of fiber), lightly toasted (80-100 calories/slice)

Layer and toast:

2 tablespoons avocado (1/4 of an avocado), mashed

2 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese (=1/2 ounce)

1 medium tomato sliced

Enjoy with an apple, orange, or 3/4 cup berries

Have a great morning!!!


No comments: