Sunday, February 17, 2008

My Thank Offering



This is the Hebrew symbol for "thanks". In the Old Testament, people brought their "thank offerings" to the Lord. People gave these gifts to God not out of compulsion but as a joyful response to the grace of God. As I was sitting in church this past Sunday, sitting in front of me was my daughter and son-in-law. We were visiting their church. They are helping to start a new Nazarene Church in Sugarcreek, OH. It was a special Sunday for their church. They were to invite their family and friends for church and a dinner afterwards. As I sat in church, my mind wandered to earlier that morning when my daughter and I were fixing the food for the dinner that was to follow. My thoughts were brought back to the service as I saw the offering plate passed and watched my son-in-law put his offering in the plate. I turned my head and noticed that my daughter's father-in-law was running the sound system. He and his wife had also recently decided to help with the starting of the church. I listened after church as my daughter discussed with the pastor's wife about being involved in the children's ministry with our puppets. I watched as she and her new husband signed the sheet to attend a Sunday evening bible study. Later back at their home, I listened as my son-in-law spoke of other people that they could ask to come and visit their church. As a mother, I have prayed all of my daughter's life that she would find the right man to be a christian partner with her and help her raise her children to love and serve the Lord. A thank offering......hmmmm. In a world full of bad relationships, dysfunctional families, and young people turning away from religion........hmmmm......a thank offering. Yes, I need to give a thank offering....what was that.....a gift to God not out of compulsion but as a JOYFUL response to the GRACE OF GOD. I have already been thinking about my thank offering I will be bringing into the house of the Lord. Do you have something to be thankful for? Have you experienced the grace of God in your life? What will be your "thank offering"?

2 comments:

lam_142 said...

Aw...Just so you know, I am still a weenie and I cried when I read that. I read it to Ben and I think he had a tear in the corner of his eye. He wouldn't show it though. Just said he had water coming out of his eyeballs. Haha! I love you Mom! So very much!

Valorie Quesenberry said...

Awesome post, Karen! It must be absolutely fantastic to watch your prayers and desires for your kids played out in living color before your eyes. What a sweet moment. Lyndsay has sure done you proud! Love all you guys.